Current Recipient: George F. Haddix, PhD, MA'66
Alumnus and Trustee Emeritus Dr. George Haddix embodies the Creighton mission through distinguished service, intellectual ability and moral principles guided by Jesuit ideals.
Dr. Haddix earned his master’s in mathematics from Creighton in 1966 before pursuing his PhD from Iowa State University. He was a civilian mathematician for the United States Air Force and the Army Corps of Engineers, and he taught math at Creighton until transitioning to a career in business.
Dr. Haddix spent his career at the center of the information technology revolution and is a respected businessman. He retired in 2009 as chair and CEO of PKWARE, Inc. and PKWARE Holdings, Inc. of Milwaukee, and in 2011 was inducted into the Omaha Business Hall of Fame.
Dr. Haddix is a public-spirited citizen who gives freely of his time and talent. He is known for investing generously in the advancement of higher education and is a proud supporter of STEM programs. Senior philanthropic advisor Steve Scholer has stated that Dr. Haddix lives a life of service and continues to support the institutions and community where he started.
Dr. Haddix and his late wife, Sally Hansen Haddix, graduated from Omaha North High School and dedicated much of their lives to helping students succeed. Dr. Haddix generously funds an annual scholarship at Omaha North. At Creighton, he has funded the John N. Mordesen, PhD Endowed Chair in Mathematics and helped found the Center for Mathematics of Uncertainty. A faculty research fund was also named in his honor.
His reach has touched organizations such as the Boys Town National Research Hospital, Cues, Child Saving Institute and the Omaha Jesuit Academy. Dr. and Mrs. Haddix were named the 2015 honorary chairs of the Child Saving Institute Cabaret and in 2013 Dr. Haddix was named honorary chair of the Fontenelle Forest Feather Our Nest. He is a co-founder of the Fontenelle Forest Honorary Trustees, a group that is dedicated to working to ensure the strength and solidarity of Fontenelle Forest.
In recognition of his distinguished service and constructive philanthropy, Creighton University is proud to confer upon Dr. George Haddix the 2016 Alumni Achievement Citation.
Criteria for the Award
- Being a degreed alumnus/alumna of Creighton University.
- Having provided distinguished service to his/her community, to the state, to learning, or mankind; to the arts, to the sciences, or by constructive philanthropy or some other outstanding public service.
- Reflecting honor on his/her Alma Mater through a manifestation of intellectual ability which would suggest his/her recognition by this University.
- Manifesting such qualities in his/her personal life that would mark him/her as cultured and of high moral principles guided by the Jesuit ideals of being men and wome
n for others.
- When completing questions 1 and 2 on the nomination form, it is critical that nominators provide specific examples of how the nominee meets the criteria for this citation.
- A supporting resume/curriculum vitae must accompany the nomination.
- Up to three letters of support will be accepted.
The Alumni Achievement Citation may be granted at Commencement, or at any regular or designated convocation of the total University.